Sunday, August 15, 2010

Catch a Shooting Star

The Perseid Meteor Showers were this past week. Friday night Bobbi and I turned out all the lights in the house and went out to the hammock to take a look. We laid there on the damp hammock, a couple of bugs buzzing around and let our eyes adjust to the night sky. There was still a bit of light in the west even though it was 9pm. We watched and watched - trying to see the whole sky so we didn't miss anything. Then 1 bright meteor came shooting across leaving a long trail - right above us and we both saw it. What a treat! We each saw one other one but not as brilliant. Apparently to really get a good show we should have gotten up right before dawn - not our cup of tea.
Bobbi sang "Catch a Falling Star" (Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day...) and reminded me of the time we visited my father and step mother in Missouri many years ago. We were sitting in their back yard under a clear sky then as well. My father started singing Catch a Falling Star and we joined him - creating a lovely moment. My father passed away in June of 2005 - we weren't particularly close, but we had our times of trying to connect, and this was one that came naturally and one that I'm very grateful for.

1 comment:

  1. Now you're talking....I mean blogging. I remember singing Catch a Falling Star when I was in elem school chorus, but never did have my own students sing it....I should have.
    Is the background you selected for your blog one of your own pics? If not it's a perfect match for your blog name.
    Looking forward to hanging out with you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete